Free Kitchen Design
This page will guide you through the design and planning process of your kitchen. Here, you will find step by step instructions on how to measure your kitchen or bathroom, and how to create the floor plan you will use to create your new room.
- Measure in inches only
- Do not measure your cabinets, measure your walls as if the room were empty
- Measure any appliances that you are keeping and note their locations
Note ceiling height and soffit height (if applicable)
A - Measure the size of the wall.
B - If there are any windows, measure from the left corner to the window molding.
C - Measure the window itself.
D - Measure from the window molding to the right corner.
NOTE: Measurements "B" "C" "D" should equal "A".
- First, draw a rough sketch of your room
- Now measure every wall, beginning at the left corner, to the far right corner. Write the total measurements in inches.
- Measure from the left corner to the edge of the opening, window or door etc.
- Now measure across the opening, from trim edge to trim edge.
- Next, measure from trim edge to far wall. Compare this measurement to the total of the previous three. They should be equal. Make sure to mark exact locations of sinks, water lines, electrical outlets, and switches on the drawing. Measure to the center of these, not the edge.
- Now we'll measure all of the openings in the room. For the windows, measure from the floor to the window sill, then measure from the window sill to the top of the window. Now measure from the top of the window to the ceiling. Now measure from the floor to the ceiling. Compare this measurement to the total of the previous three. They should be equal.
- To measure door openings, measure the width of the door from trim edge to trim edge. Indicate the position of the door swing on your drawing.
- Now just get height, width, and depth measurements for all the appliances in the room, (stoves, refrigerators, microwaves, dishwashers, etc.), and mark their locations on your drawing. Then go back and double check your measurements.
Please call 615-828-8377 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.